Thursday, March 11, 2010

C25K is finished!

So today marks the end of my Couch-to-5K training.  Cool Running is where it is from and here is the link to the training plan.  This is a great starting point for anyone wanting to start running.  They also have a Facebook presence and it is large and supportive as well.  Everyone wants you to succeed in getting going.  There are people from all levels there, including folks training for marathons offering advice and encouragement.  Plus it is a great place to brag about your morning run.  I am now in the rest period for my race on Sunday, and I will get photos from the race and I will post them here for all to see me in my kilt at the race.

So now is the planning stage for the next two races.  Since they are so close together training for one is training for the other, so into the breach I go.  Sunday's race will be the first "training run" of the next training cycle.  So I have cobbled together the following rough schedule, combining some from here some from there, and tracking it with the ever present and encouraging Nike+ site.  I do like that I can look back and see how far I have come in terms of both distance run and time spent doing it.

So the following schedule will be started on Sunday, and I will update this as we go forward, so next week will be:
    Sunday ---        3 mile run
    Monday ---       stretch and light weight work out.
    Tuesday ---      3 mile run
    Wednesday --- stretching and light weights
    Thursday ---    5 mile run
    Friday ----        stretch maybe some elliptical time.
    Saturday ---     rest -- the all important rest day.

Now before everyone flips about the 5 miles on Thursday, this will not be run at 10 minute miles, I am thinking probably more like 12 minute miles, and it will take over an hour to do.  This is fine with me.  I will just have to get up earlier.  The two 3 milers will be at a faster pace, so Thursday is just to log the distance in.  Since the goal is to get up to 10K by May, and be able to post a good time in both, I think I can push a little harder than I have.  Keeping in mind that I am all about being flexible with this whole thing, I will not go until my feet are bleeding, but I am finishing up my runs feeling pretty good right now, so finishing one a week feeling spent should help me get faster and better as we go.

One of the things that I noticed this morning on Facebook this morning was someone in the early stages of the C25K program asking for advice on leg pains.  I have had the knee issues, but actual leg-aches, I have been surprisingly free of them.  I owe this, I think, to the amount of water that I drink during the day.  I drink at least 2 liters of water everyday, and most days it is closer to 3 or 4.  I carry a water bottle with me everywhere, and after my morning coffee is gone, I switch to water, and that is all I drink for the rest of the day.  Hydration is key to keeping your body in good shape.  That and paying attention to the little aches and pains and not ignoring them.  Ice is your friend, those achy knees got wrapped after every run, and now they aren't bothering me at all.  Even my ankle is not complaining as much as a couple of weeks ago.  I am still mindful of them and am working on strengthening the muscles that support both, you would be surprised at how weak your legs really are. 

Well, until the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment